Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Eye of the Tiger

Today is one of those days when I'd love nothing more than to be home with Lucas, watching Ellen and The Price is Right. It's been snowing all morning, starting with those big, fat, fluffy flakes that make you want to curl up in bed or on the couch with a hot cup of whatever floats your boat (tea, coffee, cocoa, bourbon) and just laze the day away with a good book or your favorite show on DVD.

Alas, this is not possible for me today, so here I sit, blogging on my lunch hour because it's cold out and I don't feel like going outside and getting the hem of my too-big (more on that later) and too-long pants all wet. Want to know what I've done today? While my boss was in a meeting in his office, he asked me to sit on the phone holding for him because he had a question to ask whoever he was calling. Want to know how long I was on hold? An hour and a half. I'm not even kidding. And my boss had been holding for half an hour before that. So we were on hold for a collective two hours before he finally told me to just hang up. Yeah, I had to hang up. No one ever came to the phone after TWO HOURS. My ear hurts.

So, not to give myself a major pat on the back, but my pants are too big. "Why is this?" you might be wondering. They are too big because I've been on Weight Watchers for 3 weeks and have lost 9 lbs. so far! I'm really pumped, and am starting to see why people who do WW tend to keep the weight off after they reach their goal. It's not because it's easy, but WW teaches you what an acceptable amount of food is. Seeing what I've been eating on WW compared to what I used to eat when I thought I had been "good" on any given day makes it painfully obvious why I am so far above my goal weight. So, 9 lbs. down, 31 to go (cue Rocky music).

On a related note, I somehow now enjoy exercising. I don't know where this came from, as I used to despise working out. And actually, now that I think about it, despise is a really mild word for my feelings towards working out. Abhor? Detest? Loathe? All those words seem so inadequate, but I guess they'll have to do. Anyway, some switch must have flipped when I was pregnant with Lucas, because once he was born, I was chomping at the bit to be cleared to exercise.

I started out with the 30 Day Shred, but once Level One was taken off Free Exercise TV OnDemand (and Level Two made me want to cry), I moved on to Walking for Weightloss, just to keep myself moving. I liked it, but it was a bit too easy. Now I'm doing the Couch to 5K running program with my friend Theresa. The only problem is that we have nowhere to run while it's cold and nasty out! I'm trying to find a gym that has a super-cheap monthly membership fee, but as of now no such luck. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Gianna's Lily said...

Do you have any fitness usa's out there? Their membership is only $10 a month at the locations they have in the Lansing area.