Friday, April 9, 2010

The Mushy Gushy Post

Ok, I need to take a quick departure from the norm for a sec. I am having a lot of feelings that I really need to express. ("She doesn't even go to this school!" "Do you even go here?" "No, I just have a lot of feelings." Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? [Two movie references in one set of parenthesis. And two sets of parenthesis. How is it possible to be that awesome?])

What I want to say is thank you. I really want to genuinely thank every person who has ever read this blog, joined my FB fan page, left comments, pimped my blog to their friends, followed my blog's twitter, etc. You guys are really awesome. I never imagined my blog would take off this much. I honestly thought I would remain just an "inner-circle" type blog where some friends and family read my stuff and commented now and then whenever something nudged their funny bone.

Now don't think I am thinking that I'm the next Dooce or Heir to Blair (for those familiar with the blogging world...and if you're not, I recommend you check those blogs out, they are great. In fact, I could start throwing out a lot of props to a lot of women I aspire to be like, but I don't want them to be like, "Hey...got a little something on your nose there, pal.") I'll say two more - LawMomma and Rants From Mommyland. Those four blogs are on my must-read list every morning. I log on and get bummed if I don't see a post from them. And if I forget to check them for a day, I'll go back and get all excited if I see more than one post. It's like someone just told me that Mint Oreos have no calories and I can eat as many as I want.

Anyway, even in what I intended to be a brief post, I still manage to get off-topic and ramble on and on. The point of this post is to let you all know that I'm flattered by the fact that so many people seem to be enjoying my writing. It can be incredibly nerve-wracking to put my stuff out there like this. I always said that I wanted strangers to follow me, but now that it's a reality that people I don't know are reading my blog, I've had some serious bouts of insecurity. My friends and family know me and will still love me if I put out a bad post now and then. But strangers can judge me and think I'm a crappy writer and never want to read my stuff again, all from one post. I know that's going to happen no matter how awesome my stuff is. I think Heather Armstrong (of Dooce fame) is hilarious - I laugh out loud at most of her stuff. But some people hate her just because it's easy to cyber-hate. So if I'm going to continue to blog and go anywhere with this, I'm going to have to get used to the fact that some people aren't going to like my writing).

But back to my point again. Thanks for reading. Thanks for the supportive comments, both on here and on FB. Thanks for giving me the props I need to keep on writing. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not writing into a black internet hole where only my parents read my stuff (not to diminish the value of your readership, Mom and Dad! It all started with you anyway, and I owe you more than I could ever put in this post).

I love you guys. I love that people I don't even know like my writing so much that they fanned me on FB. And really, I love to write, which is what this blog is all about. I do this because it is cathartic and I do it because it helps me put things into perspective and laugh at the crazy stuff in my life. I do it because this is an amazing way to document my life so that one day I can look back with my child(ren) and be like, "Oh yeah sweetie, I remember when you finally started sleeping through the night, took your first step, said your first word, etc. etc." I do it because if I actually worked in journalism, I'd have to write in AP style and I don't have to do that here!

So thank you so much for reading my stuff. I will try to do you all proud with every post I write, and I promise to try to make you laugh. You guys are the best and you warm the frozen cockles of my heart. Smooches!

1 comment:

Sr. Gabriella said...

Voted! Really? The frozen cockles of your heart? hahhaa.. ps.. [(Mean Girls and Ferris Bueller's Day Off)]