Monday, June 21, 2010

Belated Father's Day Post

Father's Day is tomorrow, but by the time I post this, it will be Monday.  So to me, I am not tardy to the party.  To you, I missed the boat.  Either way, here's my ode to D.

D, you are:

My best friend and husband.  One of the few non-family members who have seen all my true colors and love me because (and sometimes in spite) of them.

The father of our son, the baby whom everyone calls your clone.  It brings unspeakable joy to my heart to see the way you play with him, talk to him and love him.  Being a daddy has brought out your true colors, and I love every single one of them.

The killer of bugs, even if it means being woken early in the morning by my screams in the shower because an uninvited spider has decided to join me.  And the only complaint I hear from you is, "Could you please tell me when you're yelling for me that it's just a bug and that you're not dying?"

The mower of lawns and the shoveler of snow.  Growing up, I always hated yard work of any sort, and marrying you has saved me from doing a lick of it for the rest of my life.  Although you did seem somewhat disappointed when I told you I didn't want to plant a garden.  So if it really means that much to you, I'll do it.  Just know that I hope you'll be grading on effort rather than production.

The one-man audience to my best and worst jokes.  And I love it that you laugh when I find myself funny, because those are usually my worst jokes and it would really kill my self confidence if you didn't laugh at all.

The person I can tell everything to, even when you and I both know I'm being a catty biotch.

Either blind or a really good liar, because I don't know anyone else who could still tell me with a straight face that I was gorgeous and sexy at 8 months pregnant.  Thank you for knowing that I needed that self-esteem bolstering then more than ever.

The strong, silent type.  Which is good, because I'm the loud, talkative type, and we tend to need good listeners.

One of my favorite people to be goofy with.  No one would ever believe how much we make each other laugh, because, as stated above, you're the strong, silent type.

The person I plan to spend the rest of my life with.  Yeah, those vows we took on February 2, 2008?  I meant them.  So buckle up, bub, cause I'm in this for life.  I love you! 

 
 

1 comment:

Jess M said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww